About Us

Learn more about the Abbeville County Historical Society


About Abbeville County Historical SocietyWelcome to our new and improved website. A new era has begun with the Abbeville County Historical Society and we are thrilled about our future and the future of Abbeville County. Founded in 1957, our mission is to preserve and to protect the rich history throughout Abbeville County including all of our historic buildings, structures, homes, monuments and parks.

The headquarters of the Abbeville County Historical Society is the McGowan, Barksdale, Bundy House located at 305 North Main Street. The house, a true architectural treasure, was graciously deeded to the Society by Mr. J.D. Bundy, of Monroe, North Carolina, in 1989. This house was home to two Generals, Gen. Samuel McGowan and Gen. William Barksdale. It is a Queen Anne built in 1888. The house has four levels: (1) the basement that consist of the Franklin and Ann Pursley Railroad Museum and a root cellar, (2) the main floor that consist of a large living hall, library, dining room, ladies parlor, tower room and archives room, (3) second story that consist of a period bedroom, Savitz pharmaceutical collection room, two military memorabilia rooms and the attic. The grounds consist of century noted plants and tress, 3 African-American cabins and the railroad park that is home to Caboose #5759.

We ended last year with a long list of completed projects. The first is the addition of the Franklin and Ann Pursley Railroad Museum that is located on the lower level of the McGowan House. The railroad museum encompass 3 rooms one of which has a large mural depicting the old Abbeville Train Depot and a HO Scale model train display, in addition to many items and artifacts on the railroad in Abbeville. All three of the African-American cabins located behind the house are currently undergoing major renovations and restoration. The large Koi Pond in the gardens has been restored and we plan to install brick pathways and reconstruct many of the original gardens in 2020. In June 2019 we discovered the old Harpers Ferry Cable Building that is located in the woods behind the Abbeville County Law Enforcement Complex. Abbeville County has deeded the building over the the historical society and we plan to move the building this summer, restore it and place it next to the Harper’s Ferry Bell.

Private tours and parties can be arranged by appointment.

Thank you,
Andrew E Hartsfield, President

ACHS Board

Board Member

Andrew E Hartsfield

Telephone: (864) 367-4075

Board Member

Christopher Wilkie

Vice President
Telephone: (864) 378-0772

Board Member

William Rogers

Acquisitions Director + Curator
Telephone: (864) 828-0462

Hope Beauford

Telephone: (864) 378-0772

Sarah Rankin

Telephone: (864) 378-0772

Bob Speer

Finance Director
Telephone: (864) 378-0772

Jenny Kelly

Military Archives + Grounds
Telephone: (864) 378-0772

Susan Sherard

Melissa Lewis