Home ~

Abbeville County | East Historical Markers Tour

Abbeville County | East Historical Markers Tour


BOWIE FAMILY MEMORIAL

    • Map Marker #: E-01 (East Abbeville County Tour)
    • Marker Text: Erected by the descendants of Abraham Bowie, who was born in Scotland and settled in Durham Parish, Charles County, Maryland, about 1700 A.D. The family of his grandson, Rhody Bowie, moved to Abbeville County, South Carolina, about 1800. Eli Bowie, son of Rhody Bowie, established Gilgal Church in 1817. This church is located 2 miles east of this memorial and is the site of the Bowie Reunion each year.
    • Location: Near intersection of SC Highway 20 and S-1-100
    • Coordinates: 34° 16.436′ N 82° 22.589′ W

 


View Larger Map


DUE WEST

  • Map Marker #: E-02 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: 1963 by Erskine College
  • Marker Text: As early as 1765, the site 6 miles NW-known to the Indians as Yellow Water and where the Keowee Path crossed the Cherokee line-was called DeWitt’s Corner. In 1777, a treaty between S. C. and the Cherokee Indians was signed there. The present town was first called Due West Corner. Here in 1839, Erskine College, the state’s first four-year church college, was founded by the Associated Reformed Presbyterian Church.
  • Location: Intersection of SC Highway 184 and SC Highway 20
  • Coordinates:  34° 20.083′ N 82° 23.223′ W

 


View Larger Map


BOONESBOROUGH TOWNSHIP (1763)

  • Map Marker #: E-03 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: 1996 by the Donalds Historical Society
  • Marker Text: Surveyed in 1762 by Patrick Calhoun and named for Gov. Thomas Boone, this 20,500-acre township was one of four townships laid out west of Ninety-Six as a buffer between white and Cherokee lands. In 1763 Scots-Irish families began to settle in the area near Long Cane, Park’s and Chickasaw Creeks. The headwaters of Long Cane Creek are 500 feet south; the Cherokee Path crossed the township boundary one mile south.
  • Location: Intersection of SC Highway 184 and S-1-248
  • Coordinates: 34° 22.317′ N 82° 21.014′ W

 


View Larger Map


THE DONALDS GRANGE NO. 497

  • Map Marker #: E-04 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: South Carolina Heritage Corridor
  • Marker Text:  The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community and Abbeville County. For these reasons, Donalds Grange No. 497, Patrons of Husbandry, was entered into the National Register of Historic Places on January 9, 1995. Construction in 1935 by local Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor on land donated by W. Maxie Agnew, the building served originally as the home of the town hall, the grange, and the public library. Since its inception, the fieldstone building has been the meeting hall for the agricultural organization known locally and most commonly as the Donalds Grange. In 1942 Donalds Grange sponsored the Abbeville County Circulating Library, including its popular bookmobile. The building became headquarters for the Abbeville County Library system and served as such until 1959, when the Grange sponsored construction of the adjacent W. Maxie Agnew Branch Library.
    • Architecture of the Grange: The architectural significance of the property stems from its local design and its construction by WPA labor. The fieldstone construction and locally produced lumber are evidence of the participation of local labor in this important example of Depression Era public buildings.
  • Location: SC Highway 184 in the Town of Donalds
  • Coordinates: 34° 22.083′ N 82° 21.117′ W

 


View Larger Map


TEMPLETON-DRAKE CABIN ca. 1764

  • Map Marker #: Map Marker #: E-05 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: 2005 by Boonesborough Township Historical Society
  • Marker Text:  Dedicated to Jane Byrd Wilson, Sept. 19,1939 – March 17, 2000. She worked to preserve the valuable heritage of the Boonesborough Township.
  • Location: SC Highway 184 in the Town of Donalds
  • Coordinates: 34° 22.083′ N, 82° 21.117′ W

 


View Larger Map


REV. J.I. BONNER MONUMENT

  • Map Marker #: Map Marker #: E-06 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: By Due West Female College Alumnae
  • Marker Text:  Southwest Side: Founder of the Due West Female College and for near twenty two years its President 1859-1881. Northeast Side: Erected By the Alumnae and affectionately inscribed to the Memory of Rev. J.I. Bonner D.D.
  • Location: North Main Street in the Town of Due West
  • Coordinates: 34° 19.983′ N 82° 23.167′ W

 


View Larger Map


JOHN C. TAYLOR BRIDGE

  • Map Marker #: E-07 (East Abbeville County Tour)
  • Marker Erected: 1978 by South Carolina General Assembly
  • Marker Text: Named in 1978 by Legislative Request Honoring Him for His Distinguished Service. Clerk of Court, Anderson County, 1920-1932. Congressman, Third S.C. District,1933-1938. Trustee, University of South Carolina, 1946-1950. State Senator, Anderson County, 1951-1954, 1959-1962. Served Nation, State, and Community with Foresight and Faithfulness, and the Principles on Which This Nation was Founded and Stood Unafraid in Defense of Trust.
  • Location: Approximately .56 miles from the intersection of S-1-88 and S-1-111
  • Coordinates: 34° 27.8′ N 82° 18.4′ W

 


View Larger Map


LONG CANE CEMETERY

    • Map Marker #: E-08 (East Abbeville County Tour)
    • Marker Erected: 2011 by Long Cane Cemetery Association
    • Marker Text:  Front: This cemetery, sometimes called Upper Long Cane Cemetery, dates from 1760. It includes the graves of some of the most prominent families of this area from the Colonial era to the present. The first marked grave is the field stone of John Lesly, inscribed “A.D. 1776.” The granite entrance pillars and stone wall were built in 1935 as a memorial to veterans of eight wars who are buried here. The cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010.  Reverse: Among the notables buried here are a U.S. Senator, a U.S. Congressman, a lieutenant governor, a Confederate general, several state senators and representatives, judges, ministers, doctors, and soldiers of wars from the American Revolution to the present. Long Cane Cemetery also features many fine gravestones and monuments by noted 19th-century stonecutters such as J. Hall, Thomas Walker, and John, William T., Robert D., and Edwin R. White.
    • Location: Just outside Abbeville City limits on Greenville Street (State Highway 20) near Beltline Road (County Road S-1-35)
    • Coordinates: 34° 12.217′ N 82° 23.417′ W

 


View Larger Map


PRATT’S MILL

    • Map Marker #: E-09 (East Abbeville County Tour)
    • Marker Erected: 2007 by Abbeville County Historical Society
    • Marker Text:  Front: The last action of the Revolution in this part of S.C. was at Pratt’s Mill, a grist mill on the Little River owned by Joseph Pratt. On October 30, 1781, an outpost of 30 Patriots at the mill, under Capt. John Norwood, was surprised by 30 Loyalists and Cherokees under Col. William “Bloody Bill” Cunningham. Norwood, who was wounded, was the only casualty on either side. Reverse: The Patriots fled, leaving behind 30 horses and most of their weapons; the Loyalists burned the mill. The Pratt family later rebuilt the mill, which appears in Robert Mills’s Atlas of S.C. (1825). They later built another mill on Hogskin Creek, about 500 yds. N of the first mill. That mill, which operated throughout the 19th century, was destroyed by a flood in 1908.
    • Location: Just outside Abbeville City limits on Greenville Street (State Highway 20) near Beltline Road (County Road S-1-35)
    • Coordinates: 34° 18.383′ N, 82° 26.45′ W

 

      Pratt's Mill - Front - E-09   Pratt's Mill - Reverse - E-09

                                      View Larger Map

Copyright © 2015 Abbeville County Historical Society | Website Development: Shawn M. Knox Images